Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Real Estate is the perfect soundtrack to the beach.

Although their album came out in 2009, I have recently become engulfed in Real Estate's self-titled album because of one reason: the beach. When I was recently in Miami over break, I found myself repeatedly returning to the low-fi surf rock in the sun. They're from New Jersey and the album takes place in their nostalgia for their suburban teen years, free of responsibility. Go listen to "Suburban Beverage" to get a taste.

Listening to their long-winded jams and subtle vocals about life in sand and under sun while experiencing it myself quickly became addicting. It's the perfect soundtrack to the beach. (I knew I was missing something in Missouri!)

I have issues choosing which track is my favorite. All of the tracks have an overwhelmingly clean instrumental vibe accompanied by calm, faded vocals. I usually start with "Fake Blues" then go to "Beach Comber" and follow that with "Pool Swimmers." It's really a win/win. If you don't have access to a beach, it's just a matter of closing your eyes because Real Estate will get you there. It's just like lead singer/guitarist Martin Courtney says: "What you want is right outside your reach."

No comments: