Thursday, March 10, 2011

True/False music!!


Last weekend, True/False documentary film festival came back to Columbia, Missouri for its eighth annual four-day takeover. I went to more than eight films, and I could write a novel about each one of them (I guest-blogged for my friend about one of them), but I want to focus on the music.

The first film that involved inspiring music was Benda Bilili!
It is about Staff Benda Bilili, a group of musicians from the impoverished Congo. They gather to sing songs about their optimism as they live in terrible conditions. One more thing: they are handicapped. This story was incredibly inspiring and will make you never want to complain about anything again. Even though their songs are not in English, it's easy to understand the emotion behind each note.

In between film screenings, True/False has different musicians play to entertain the audience. This year, I saw a cute girl with a ukulele. Her name is Lizzie Wright. She's just got a great attitude and there's a lot of love in her songs.


The last musicians who I really was impressed by were Bramble, a band from Salt Lake City. They're one of those young and hungry kind of bands and I really like their dynamic.

No comments: